- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cream together butter, shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar until fluffy, approx. 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each, then blend in the vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Add to wet mixture and blend in.
- Mix the 5 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon in a small ziploc bag.
- Shape a heaping tablespoonful of dough into ball and place it into the cinnamon sugar bag. Shake the bag and roll the dough around until completely coated. Repeat and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.
Makes approx. 4 dozen cookies