Prep Time: 10 minutes // Cook Time: 15 minutes // Total Time: 25 minutes // Makes 4 calzones
- 2 ½ cups unbleached bread flour
- 2 tsp sugar or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup water, at room temperature
- 4 medium, firm apples, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (I used this caramel sauce)
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp sugar mixed with ½ tsp cinnamon
- You can use store-bought pizza dough, but if you decide to make your own, start these steps a day before you plan to make the calzones. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the dough. Mix carefully until all ingredients are combined and a shaggy dough forms. Continue mixing for about anotherminute, then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding water if too dry or adding flour if too wet, until a smooth, supple dough forms. It should be tacky, but not sticky.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with cooking spray or olive oil. Form the dough into a smooth ball and place in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, not letting it touch the dough. Let sit at room temperature for 30 mins, then refrigerate overnight, or up to three days. About 1 hourbefore you plan on making the calzones, remove the dough from the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat; set aside.
- Place your apples in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch,cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples and toss with your hands, making sure the apple slices are evenly coated.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pizza dough into four 8? thin circles. Fill one side of each circle with ¼ of the apple mixture, then spoon some caramel sauce over the apples. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges closed to seal or crimp shut with a lightly flouredfork.
- Brush the top of each calzone with the melted butter, and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place calzones on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 mins, then slice up and serve with ice cream.
Recipe & photos found from these lovely links: